Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Holy Grail of Teaching

"Nothing deflates a teacher more than bored students." This is the first sentence of an article written by Sam Intrator, a veteran high school and college teacher.

I am realizing that not engaging with students and neglecting the pursuit of powerful teaching is not a bad thing. It's simply deflating. Demoralizing. Boring. Painful. Intrator says that classrooms "can be dynamic settings that launch dreams and delight minds, or arid places that diminish hope and deplete energy." I believe that we have all had personal experiences of both of these scenarios of the classroom.

So as a teacher, really this is about a choice. What experience do I want to create in my classroom? Deflated teaching and deflated learning? Or vigorous teaching and vigorous learning? That's a choice I shall face every day.

I am moved by this experience of Intrator's "Holy Grail" of teaching, which is what he describes as "Moments when I see the collective attention of my students and feel their energy for the subject at hand[.]" He put into words so concretely what I also want to strive for, and I am internalizing this experience of the Holy Grail. I believe it a worthwhile and lifelong endeavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment