Friday, December 2, 2011

The Great Divide!


When I think of the digital divide, I am reminded of the "earthshake" scene in the old animated movie The Land Before Time - the world is shaking and changing. And sometimes, the "great divide" is unbroachable.

I know, kinda dramatic. Besides, we're in anything but the "dinosaur age"! But consider that digital technologies are rapidly transforming the way the world functions and communicates, and if one is left on one side of that divide, then the gap only becomes more and more vast and uncrossable. The digital divide usually refers to a contrast of the use of computers and the internet, and the latter demographic in these pairs usually have more access: old vs. young, uneducated vs. educated, majority vs. minority, low income vs. high income... From this kind of objective standpoint, one could argue that digital access and proper use enhances and contributes to quality of life.

Of course, there are those with access to the internet and those without access, but there's another level to carefully examine that is maybe another mini "earthshake" - those who produce vs. consume content. From what I gather, "consuming" content is a lower-level way of using the internet, doing rather simplistic things such as Facebook statuses. Producing content would mean being an active user and also understanding how the technology functions.

For example, this blog. I am producing original (and hopefully fascinating) content that contributes to the worldwide internet community. I have a working knowledge of how Blogger works and can go in and apply my creativity. I'm a producer. (Yay!)

But "consumers" have little to no knowledge to how technology actually works. They just use a technology that has already been produced.The problem is that as technology advances, less and less people know how it actually works, which puts the power into an increasingly concentrated field of people.

I believe the best way to bridge the divide on that first level - those without access vs. those with access - is to allow for more wireless or subsidized internet access. "Build it and they will come" - technology is becoming so pervasive and cheap that if given the opportunity, people will find a way to use it, which will provide companies the incentive to mass produce hardware to meet demand.

As for the second divide - those who produce vs. consume - what can I say? This is best approached through an alternative approach to education itself, a deep infrastructure sort of thing. Like, this class is teaching how to integrate technology into the classroom, which will trickle down to all of our students. As we revolutionize the way teachers teach, I believe that is the best and most lasting change (albeit the slowest!).

I realize that I need to challenge the digital divide in my own classroom more by allowing for a learning curve, and teaching the rudiments of technology as we go along. I'll incorporate the use of Google Docs but not take into account how to teach the best usage!


And in the list that Paul C Gorski wrote "6 Ways I Challenge the Digital Divide," he states: "I must not use technology to replace face-to-face interaction." Hear ye, hear ye! I concur! All day long today I have been e-mailing, texting, Facebooking, even calling people, and you know what? I am sick and tired of it. I just want to sit down across from a warm, live human body and watch the expressions on their face shift - in the flesh, and not on a screen! - in reaction to what I say. 

So although the Land Before Time was describing a scene from millions of years ago, I think the principle of the divide remains the same - we must unite together as fellow living, social beings to progress forward and prosper or we shall perish.

Who knew a cartoon could offer up such life lessons!


No comments:

Post a Comment